Murder suspect faces extradition

By Javier Erik Olvera, Rocky Mountain News
November 9, 2005

An Aurora murder suspect caught in Shreveport, La., will tell a judge today whether he will return willingly to Colorado to face first-degree murder and first-degree assault charges.

Sir Mario Owens, 21, could resist extradition to Colorado, where he'll be charged in the July 4, 2004, shooting at Lowry Park that killed Gregory Vann, 20, and injured two others during a fight. Shreveport police think Owens has been in their community, where he has family, since the incident. Aurora officials declined to comment about Owens' whereabouts.

At about 9:05 p.m. Sunday, Shreveport police tried to pull over the driver of a 1984 Oldsmobile Delta who was playing loud music from the car stereo, said Shreveport Detective Roger Courtney. The driver led police on a low-speed pursuit through the streets of Shreveport, throwing several brick-sized bundles of what appeared to be marijuana out of the driver's-side window, Courtney said. The driver drove past 20 stop signs, 10 red lights and nearly hit several vehicles during the pursuit, Courtney said. When the car finally stopped after about 31 minutes, the driver jumped out and ran 150 feet to a nearby fence where he was caught by police as he reached for a gun in his pocket, Courtney said.

The driver was later identified as Owens. Police have since learned the Oldsmobile had license plates that belonged to another vehicle, but it's unclear whether the car was stolen, Courtney said. Owens, who has an extensive criminal history that includes felony manufacturing and possession of drugs, faces three charges in Shreveport related to his arrest, including evading police and being a felon in the possession of a firearm. Caddo Parish Assistant District Attorney William Edwards said prosecutors would reject the three charges if Owens returns to Colorado without fighting extradition.

On Fourth of July 2004, Owens, Robert Ray, 20, and several others went to Lowry Park, where Vann's company was hosting a barbecue and a hip-hop event. As people were leaving, a fight broke out, with a group of men pitted against Owens and Ray. Vann and Javad Marshall-Fields attempted to break it up, but were shot, along with Vann's brother, Elvin Bell, 30. Vann later died. Last month, Owens was implicated in the June 20 murders of Vivian Wolfe and her fiancee Marshall-Fields, who was supposed to testify a week later against Ray. In a videotaped statement played Oct. 19 during Ray's new preliminary hearing, an associate, Jamar Dickey, told an Aurora police detective that he heard Owens had killed Marshall-Fields and Wolfe, both 22. Owens isn't charged in connection with the couple's slaying because the information was heard secondhand.

Ray was recently bound over for a new trial in connection with the Fourth of July 2004 shooting. His trial is scheduled to begin March 13.